A Journey into my mind, where I will write about everything I think about: whether is be politics, science, interests, hobbies, working out, my job, love, boredom, confusion, ect.

Hold onto your mouse, it's going to be a wild ride...

Friday, December 31, 2010

The difference a tip can make


Yesterday, me and my buds drove a few hours to Rockledge and ate at a Chinese Buffet. Let me tell you: that was some GOOD FOOD! I especially loved the baked oysters.

Anyway, we had a nice Chinese woman for our waitress. Very polite, horrible English, but good service. I noticed, though, that during dinner hour this restaurant had very little business. It was probably one that was struggling to stay open, which was unfortunate because they had great food.

I remembered that I was reading about there being around 5 Chinese restaurants in that city. This one probably was just going out of business. It made me a little sad thinking that this polite young lady probably didn't get much pay for her work, and not enough tips to really live off of...

Then it came time to pay the bill. All of our meals were $10.75, and my friends all gave a generous 15% tip. But something overcame me...

I decided then and there that I was going to make her day. So, I slapped a $10 on the table and thanked her for her service. She was beaming! I make enough income with my job, and Christmas money, and my birthday coming up, that I can spare the money every now and then to make someone's day.

She thanked us repeatedly as we were walking out the door, and as she was chattering to her other co-workers excitedly I kept seeing her look over at me and smile.

Tip your waitresses. Generously, too. Usually, if one is a waitress, they aren't the most financially well off. Your simple generous tip can truly make their day so much brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment