A Journey into my mind, where I will write about everything I think about: whether is be politics, science, interests, hobbies, working out, my job, love, boredom, confusion, ect.

Hold onto your mouse, it's going to be a wild ride...

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Unemployment


^ CourageWolf, one of my favorite meme's ^

Ever since I've been old enough, I've had a job. At age 13-14, I started working at the local Minor League Baseball Stadium (Dodgertown) as a BatBoy. I did that for two seasons until it close down. Then I worked that summer at Lake Aurora Christian Camp in Lake Wales. I continued that for the next three years, while working at Chick-fil-A during the year. I even picked up a part-time job with Liberty Tax Services on the weekends!

I've been blessed with plenty of work experience. But so many of the teens my age can't get a job anywhere! I think there are two main reasons:

a.) They don't present themselves well - this is a big one. They'll either show up late to an interview, not look the person in the eye, not dress well, or not try to "sell" themselves as the best employee imaginable. They just try to "be themselves". Well, you aren't good enough if you're unemployed. Like I always say: Fake it 'til you make it.

b.) They lack work experience - this isn't all their fault, since no where will hire them. But volunteer at a church on a regular basis, or a summer camp! You can at least use these as job references...

I just think the majority of people my age need to REALLY try if they want a job. Otherwise, the years of their lives with the potential for the most productivity and progress will be wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment